Latest News

Metro Manila

Editorial

Posted on in News

Davao City's high-risk village put on hard lockdown

DAVAO CITY – The city government here has imposed a hard lockdown on Barangay 23-C Saturday afternoon because of the surge of coronavirus disease (Covid-19) infections in the area. Mayor Sara Z. Duterte said the downtown barangay has been classified as a high-risk area because of its high daily infection rate. Mayor Sara said the…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

Ilocos Norte teachers brace for blended learning

READY FOR THE SCHOOL YEAR. The Schools Division Office of Ilocos Norte assured teachers in the province are being prepared for the continuity learning plan of the Department of Education amid the global pandemic. Cherry Garma (left), information officer of SDOIN, said on Friday (July 3, 2020) the Division is doing a series of webinars…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

No need for 'online weddings': Balanga diocese

Balanga Bishop Ruperto Santos. (File photo) MANILA – The Diocese of Balanga on Saturday rejected the proposal of conducting online weddings, saying it prefers the traditional way of holding the sacrament. “Here, in the Diocese of Balanga, there is no need for an online wedding. With MGCQ (modified general community quarantine), we can now accommodate…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

NoCot IATF calls for probe on discrimination of front-liner

DISCRIMINATORY ACT. Unidentified men sealed off the alley (left) and the front yard (right) of front-liner Junmar Gonzaga with a steel road barricade and yellow ‘caution’ tape in Barangay Lanao, Kidapawan City since Friday (July 3) after he came in contact with a coronavirus disease 2019 patient from the city earlier this week. The provincial…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

1,494 new Covid-19 cases, tally exceeds 41K: DOH

MANILA – The coronavirus disease (Covid-19) infections in the country rose to 41,830 after the Department of Health (DOH) registered 1,494 new confirmed cases on Saturday. Of the new positive cases, 403 are fresh while 1,091 are late cases or test results released to patients four days ago or more. The DOH said 180 of…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

4 killed, 4 hurt in Basilan ambush

Google map of Tipo-Tipo town, Basilan province. ZAMBOANGA CITY – A soldier and three civilians were killed while four others wounded in an ambush in a remote village in Basilan, police and military officials said Saturday. The Basilan-based 101st Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army said the incident occurred around 10:30 p.m. Friday in Barangay…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

Group questions legality of Anti-Terrorism Act at SC

MANILA, Philippines — A day after the controversial anti-terror bill was signed into law, a group of lawyers and advocates on Saturday filed before the Supreme Court a petition questioning the constitutionality of the measure. In a Facebook post, the Calleja Law Firm, led by Lawyer Howard “Howie” Calleja, said the group filed a petition…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

321 residents evacuated amid power barge oil spill in Iloilo City

ILOILO CITY — More than 300 residents living along the coastal areas here were evacuated on Saturday amid an oil spill from a power barge that was damaged by an explosion on Friday. The Iloilo City Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) reported that as of 10 a.m. on Saturday, 91 families or 321 individuals were…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

Party-list solons on anti-terror law: ‘Duterte signed death warrant of human rights’

MANILA, Philippines — Several party-list solons in the House of Representatives slammed the enactment of the anti-terror bill into law, with one even saying that President Rodrigo Duterte signed “the death warrant to the human rights of every man, woman, and child in the Philippines.” In a statement on Friday, House Assistant Minority Leader and…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

14 staff of Negros Occ PDRRMO’s emergency unit now under quarantine

BACOLOD CITY — At least 14 members of the Emergency Response Unit of the Negros Occidental Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (PDRRMO) were quarantined after one of their colleagues tested positive for the new coronavirus or SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19. The personnel of the Emergency Response Unit were exposed to an ambulance driver who…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

CHR on signing of anti-terror bill: ‘We cannot compromise our human rights’

MANILA, Philippines—The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Saturday reminded the government that human rights should never be compromised despite the signing of the controversial anti-terrorism bill by President Rodrigo Duterte. CHR Spokesperson Atty. Jacqueline Ann de Guia that they will hold on to the government’s commitment that human rights will always be upheld and…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

DOH-8 to reject non-compliant specimen for Covid-19 test

SWAB COLLECTION. Local health workers prepare to collect swab samples from returning residents of Alangalang, Leyte in this June 12, 2020 photo. The Department of Health in Eastern Visayas on Saturday (July 4, 2020) urged the disease reporting units of the provinces to strictly follow the criteria in submitting specimens for coronavirus testing to avoid…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

Philippines logs 1,494 new COVID-19 patients; tally now at 41,830

MANILA, Philippines — An additional 1,494 people in the country have been infected with COVID-19, driving the nationwide count to 41,830, the Department of Health (DOH) reported Saturday. According to DOH, 403 of the 1,494 new cases were labeled as “fresh” while 1,091 were tagged as “late”. The latest figures documented by DOH likewise showed…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

Biazon lauds passage of anti-terror law; reminds of use only vs terrorists

MANILA, Philippines — While lauding the enactment of the anti-terror law, Muntinlupa City Lone District Representative on Saturday reminded state security forces to be “vigilant” in using the measure. “As one of those who have been working closely with the anti-terrorism proponents, I congratulate our state security forces for achieving what they asked Congress for—-a…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

Public urged to stay calm, observe health standards

COVID-19 UPDATES. A 63-year-old man from Barangay Marcos, Talavera in Nueva Ecija died of Covid-19 on Thursday, July 2, 2020. He was the fourth Covid-19 fatality in Nueva Ecija. (Photo by the municipal government of Talavera) TALAVERA, Nueva Ecija – Health and municipal officials called on the public not to panic amid the death of a…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

DFA repatriates 68.4K Pinoys since start of pandemic

MANILA – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) facilitated this week the return of almost 10,000 overseas Filipino (OFs) repatriates. In a press release on Saturday, the department said this brings the total number of repatriated OFs to 68,440 since the DFA began its coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) repatriation efforts in February. Of this number,…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

‘Hidden language’: Hong Kongers get creative against security law

HONG KONG — Hong Kongers are finding creative ways to voice dissent after Beijing blanketed the city in new security law and police began arresting people displaying now forbidden political slogans. Faced with the sudden threat of prosecution for anything that might promote greater autonomy or independence for the restless city, residents are using wordplay…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

NUPL holds off SC filing of petition vs anti-terror law for now

MANILA, Philippines — The National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) on Saturday said it will defer for now its plan to challenge the legality of the anti-terror law before the Supreme Court. This developed as NUPL noted the decision was in consideration of, among others, “more petitioners” who want to join its cause. In a…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

Labor, Catholic groups slam signing of anti-terror law

MANILA, Philippines — Various labor and church leaders slammed President Rodrigo Duterte’s signing of the controversial anti-terror law which they fear would not only impinge on the public’s constitutionally guaranteed rights but also pave the way for the silencing of legitimate criticism.   The National Secretariat for Social Action/Caritas Philippines, which is the Roman Catholic…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

NegOr records 11 new Covid-19 cases

DUMAGUETE CITY – The province of Negros Oriental has recorded 11 new coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) infections, a few days after the province shifted to modified general community quarantine starting July 1. In a press briefing on Saturday, assistant provincial health officer, Dr. Liland Estacion, said her office received the throat swab results from a…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

Asean-China execs review progress in strategic partnership

CONSULTATION MEETING. Assistant Secretary Junever M. Mahilum-West, director-general of the Asean-Philippines and Temporary SOM Leader of the Philippines, addresses Asean-China Senior Officials during the 26th Asean-China Senior Officials’ Consultation held via video conference on July 1, 2020. During the consultation meeting, the senior officials expressed commitment to continue and enhance health cooperation to combat Covid-19…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

PH Rise marks 4th anniversary

PH RISE 4TH ANNIVERSARY. Officials from the Area Task Force-North and the provincial government of Cagayan lead the send-off for the Philippine Navy’s maritime vessel BRP Quezon (PS-70) and the Naval Task Unit 11.6.1. in Sta. Ana, Cagayan on June 10, 2020. The contingent is tasked to navigate and patrol the areas of the Philippine…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

Zambo City records 7th Covid-19 death, 2 new cases

ZAMBOANGA CITY – This city has registered its seventh coronavirus disease (Covid-19) death after one of the confirmed cases died Friday due to respiratory failure secondary to pneumonia. This came as the local health office recorded Saturday another two new confirmed cases, bringing the city’s total Covid-19 cases to 222. The local Inter-Agency Task Force…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

Caraga-RTF wants mandatory Covid-19 test for LSIs

Agusan del Norte governor Dale B. Corvera, chairman of the Regional Task Force on Covid-19 One Caraga Shield. (PNA photo by Alexander Lopez) BUTUAN CITY – The Regional Task Force on Covid-19-One Caraga Shield (RTF-COCS) passed a resolution Friday requesting the national Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) that locally stranded individuals (LSIs) be subjected first to…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

NAIA Terminal 3 to open for international flights starting July 8

MANILA, Philippines — The Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 will be open for international flights starting July 8, the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) said Saturday. “After temporarily closing its doors on March 28 this year, NAIA Terminal 3 will finally open its gates to resume international flight operations beginning 12:01 a.m. of…
Keep Reading

Posted on in News

Suspected BIFF bomb courier killed in Maguindanao

BOMB COMPONENTS. Police and military personnel inspect the motorcycle of slain suspected bomb courier Alimudin Unggala for bomb components after he was intercepted in the vicinity of Barangay Madia, Datu Saudi Ampatuan, Maguindanao on Friday (July 3, 2020). The suspect, an alleged close aide of Imam Bungos, a commander of the Islamic State-inspired Bangsamoro Islamic…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

BI officers sacked for ’fictitiously’ encoding Wirecard COO’s entry to PH

MANILA, Philippines — Some Bureau of Immigration (BI) officers were removed from their posts as they were found to have “fictitiously” encoded that the former chief operating officer (COO) of German payments processing firm Wirecard AG entered the country on June 23, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said Saturday. In a Viber message to reporters,…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

Zambales records 3 new COVID-19 patients

SAN ANTONIO, ZAMBALES — After a three-day lull, three Zambales patients tested positive for the new coronavirus or SARS-Cov-2, which causes COVID-19, on Saturday, and among them is a 12-year-old girl from this town, according to Dr. Noel Bueno, provincial health director. The two other patients are a 38-year-old man from Castillejos town and a…
Keep Reading

Posted on in Latest News

Eastern Visayas records 14 new COVID-19 cases

TACLOBAN CITY — At least 14 coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases have been recorded in Eastern Visayas on Friday, bringing the total number of infections in the region to 577. Of the 14 new cases, one was a returning overseas worker while the rest were locally stranded individuals (LSIs). The town of Albuera, Leyte registered its…
Keep Reading

1 2 3 4 5 6 2,127
Go to Top