Bato Manhunt Starts: DOJ Orders PNP, NBI to Enforce ICC Arrest

The DOJ says the PNP and NBI have been ordered to enforce the ICC arrest warrant against Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa.

Bato Manhunt Starts: DOJ Orders PNP, NBI to Enforce ICC Arrest
Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa in a 2025 Senate portrait. Photo from Senate of the Philippines via Wikimedia Commons.

The Department of Justice says law enforcement agencies have been ordered to arrest Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, marking a major escalation in the International Criminal Court case tied to the Duterte administration’s drug war.

According to Philstar.com, Justice Secretary Frederrick Vida confirmed on Thursday that the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation have been tasked to enforce the ICC warrant against Dela Rosa. Vida said the warrant is valid and described the senator as a “fugitive from justice” who should be brought before the ICC to face the charges against him.

The DOJ also said prosecutors have requested relevant footage from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority covering the period after Dela Rosa’s apparent escape from the Senate premises after 2:30 a.m. on May 14. The panel also plans physical inspections of the GSIS premises and a similar visit to the Senate premises where the incident happened.

The move comes after the Office of the Solicitor General said there was no legal impediment to Dela Rosa’s arrest following the Supreme Court’s denial of his plea for a temporary restraining order and status quo ante order. The high court, however, has so far ruled only on the interim reliefs he sought and has not yet decided the merits of the main case.

Justice officials said a hold departure order cannot be issued because there are no local court charges against Dela Rosa, though an immigration lookout bulletin order exists and an Interpol red notice application is being pursued. Dela Rosa is wanted by the ICC for alleged crimes against humanity of murder over the killings of at least 32 people allegedly committed from July 2016 to April 2018. Source: Philstar.com