Sara Duterte Goes All In: VP Announces 2028 Presidential Bid Amid Family’s ICC Drama

Sara Duterte Goes All In: VP Announces 2028 Presidential Bid Amid Family’s ICC Drama
Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Vice President Sara Duterte just dropped a bombshell — she’s officially running for president in 2028. In a livestreamed address on Wednesday, the 47-year-old said she’s offering her “life, strength, and future” in service of the Filipino people, setting the stage for what’s shaping up to be one of the most dramatic presidential races in Philippine history.

The timing couldn’t be more intense. Sara’s announcement comes as she faces multiple impeachment complaints in the House of Representatives over alleged corruption and even a death threat against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. Meanwhile, her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte, is facing confirmation of charges at the International Criminal Court in The Hague for crimes against humanity linked to his bloody “war on drugs” from 2016 to 2022.

In her speech, Sara also asked for forgiveness from Filipinos for previously supporting Marcos during the 2022 elections. The two were once allies but their relationship has since turned toxic — especially after Marcos greenlit the arrest of Rodrigo Duterte by the Philippine National Police and Interpol on behalf of the ICC last year.

Political analyst Cleve Arguelles of WR Numero Research sees the move as a strategic play to keep Sara’s political faction from falling apart. “When legal risk rises, so does the temptation to defect early to save one’s own skin,” he said, adding that the announcement is designed to “freeze panic” within her camp before things unravel further.

Sara accused the Marcos administration of presiding over rampant corruption, poverty, and a cost-of-living crisis — issues that resonate deeply with millions of Filipinos. Whether her gamble pays off or backfires spectacularly, one thing’s for sure: Philippine politics just got a whole lot more interesting.

Source: Al Jazeera

Read more