Tag archive

Davao City

Quiboloy accepts Vice’s challenge, will not just stop ‘Ang Probinsyano’ but operation of ABS-CBN as well

in Entertainment/Tabloid PH Showbiz
Quiboloy accept’s Vice’s challenge, will not just stop ‘Ang Probinsyano’ but operation of ABS-CBN as well

Kapamilya Vice Ganda’s challenge to Pastor Apollo Quiboloy to put a halt to the airing of ABS-CBN’s primetime hit “Ang Probinsyano”— just like how the leader of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ The Name Above Every Name claimed to have ordered the earthquakes in Davao to stop—has been accepted.

And based on the answer of Quiboloy, it appears that he won’t be needing heaven’s help, but that of Malacanang.

“The challenge is accepted,” Quiboloy said, referring to what Vice said in an episode of “It’s Showtime” last November 5 that he should also stop the airing of “Ang Probinsyano” starring Coco Martin, as well as the traffic in Edsa. Vice, in that episode, said: “Ipahinto mo na ang ‘Probinsyano’. Napahinto mo pala ang lindol eh. Napakayabang niyo pala, eh..Sabi niya raw, stop. Sige nga! Punta ka ng gitna ng EDSA, stop mo ‘yung traffic du’n!”

Quiboloy, in accepting Vice’s challenge, said: “Kailan mo ba gustong mapa-stop ang ‘Ang Probinsyano’? Isang buwan? Dalawang buwan? Tatlong buwan? Apat na buwan? Ikaw, pili ka.”

Then he continued with a political overtone, dragging the feud between President Duterte and the ABS-CBN management: “Baka sa apat na buwan, hindi lang yung ‘Probinsyano’ ang mai-stop, baka pati yung network mo stop na ‘yan.”

Quiboloy is a known big supporter and ally of Duterte, with his religious group based in Davao City. Duterte has threatened to block the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise, which is set to expire in March 2020. Without the franchise, ABS-CBN’s operation will cease. The President and his allies in Congress keep on reminding ABS-CBN of their disgust over the decision of the network not to air Duterte’s commercials during the 2016 elections campaign period even if they were paid already.

True enough, the House of Representatives has not acted on the 25-year renewal of the network’s franchise. 

As to the Edsa traffic, Quiboloy told Vice: “Sinabi mo na pahintuin ko ang traffic sa EDSA, paano ko pahihintuin, nahinto na!…Naging parking lot na nga ang EDSA, e, nakahinto na.Hindi siguro yun ang right word na sinabi mo. Pabilisin.”

Duterte to settle for 60% share in sea exploration with China

in News/Tabloid PH News
Duterte to settle for 60% share in sea exploration with China

President Duterte is now open to a 60-40 revenue sharing with China if Manila and Beijing would conduct joint oil explorations and development in the West Philippine Sea, but quickly stressed that the Philippines should get the bigger share.

The Chief Executive’s new pronouncement on Thursday (August 8) was a turnaround from his position last year, when he said the Philippines should get more than 60 percent.

Duterte, in a speech at the Eastern Mindanao Command camp in Davao City on August 23, 2018, said what he wants is for the Philippines to get a higher share than the 60-40 he earlier broached.

But speaking to reporters on Thursday, Duterte said: “They have proposed a 60-40 (sharing). Okay na ‘yan para sa akin (That’s okay for me).”

“Of course, 60… 60 in favor of our country,” he added.

The President is scheduled for a state visit to Beijing for the fifth time at the end of the month.

Like in his previous visits to China, the issue on the South China Sea will again be a sticky topic. 

Duterte already said he’ll be bringing up the South China Sea Code of Conduct (COC) to avoid more adverse incidents and conflicts between the two countries in the oil- and mineral-rich West Philippine Sea.

“Once we have set the agenda, I’d talk first about jurisdiction, the COC, and the exploitation of the natural resources of my country since, as far as I’m concerned, we own it. So that is my position. We still own what we are claiming,” Duterte said.

Malacanang has already given assurances that all deals that will be forged regarding the West Philippines Sea would be according to the Philippine Constitution and would redound to benefits for Filipinos.

Filipinos take a beating from Mother Nature

in News/Tabloid PH News
Filipinos take a beating from Mother Nature
AFP/Getty

From monsoon rains to tornadoes and waves as big houses, Filipinos are taking a beating from nature’s wrath over the last 48 hours, with Tropical Depression Hanna seen to make weather conditions worse as it enhances southwest monsoon (Hanging Habagat).

On Saturday (August 3), around 150 houses were destroyed in coastal villages in Davao City after they were hit by waves as big as the structures themselves.

While no one was reported injured due to the preparedness measures instituted by the local government, the big waves displaced at least 357 families, according to reports. The big waves were triggered by the monsoon and are a yearly occurrence.

In Negros Occidental, some 50 houses were damaged by two tornadoes around 10:30 am on August 3. No one was reported injured by the tornadoes that hit the La Carlota City and the town of Pontevedra.

About an hour earlier, another tornado destroyed at least 11 houses and a public market in Lavezares town in Northern Samar. No one was also reported injured.

Rains, meanwhile, continue to batter most areas of the country on Sunday (August 4), with the trough of Tropical Depression Hanna and Hanging Habagat expected to bring more rain showers and thunderstorms.

Forecast track of Tropical Depression “Hanna” as of Issued at 11:00 am, 04 August 2019. Image from PAGASA

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) already warned the public of possible flashfloods and landslides.

The weather condition has forced authorities to cancel two flights from Busuanga, Palawan to Manila.

Meanwhile, the Office of Civil Defense reported that 17 fatalities have been confirmed and 14 passengers still missing in the twin sea tragedies in Guimaras Strait caused by the bad weather. At least 55 passengers were already rescued.

They were passengers of motorboats Chi-Chi and Keziah, which capsized around noon on Saturday due to strong gusts of wind.

Also on Saturday, MV Arikun, a cargo ship with Panamanian flag, ran aground in the waters off Lauis Ledge Light House. According to the Philippine Coast Gaurd, the vessel was carrying 4,210 tons of wheat with a total of 18 crew onboard.

Sara Duterte leaves door open for presidential bid in 2022

in News/Tabloid PH News
Sara Duterte Presidential Bid
REUTERS/Lean Daval Jr

Presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sarah Duterte-Carpio is no longer outrightly dismissing the possibility of her seeking the presidency in 2022.

Speaking at a television show of Pastor Apollo Quiboloy on Friday (August 2), Duterte-Carpio said she will seek first the guidance of the Lord before she makes any decision on whether she would heed the growing clamor for her to run for president in the next national elections or not.

“Everything is easier if it is the plan of God. Before I think about that, I should ask God first if this is for me. So we would not make mistakes, we need to pray for wisdom on how to go about it and how to decide,” Duterte-Carpio said.

This is a slight deviation from her response to a query from ABS-CBN News in April when she said she was not thinking about the presidency.

Duterte-Carpio won a second term as mayor of Davao City in May 2019 polls. She previously served as the vice mayor of the city then replaced her father, President Rodrigo Duterte, in 2016 as chief executive of Davao City. Duterte, meanwhile, was elected President of the Republic and is now midway through his term.

President Duterte only has good words for Duterte-Carpio every time he mentions her in his speeches, including his last State of the Nation Address. The President fondly calls her “Inday Sara”.

Should she decide to run for president in 2022, her bid would be backed up by her own party, Hugpong ng Pagbabago, which is steadily gaining influence in the Philippine political scene. In the last election, all the candidates supported by Hugpong ng Pagbabago made it to the Philippine Senate.

At the House of Representatives, Duterte-Carpio is widely believed to be the one who orchestrated the ouster of then-Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez after their relationship soured.

Not only that, Duterte-Carpio will be benefiting from the popularity of her father, who continues to enjoy the very high trust and approval rating in different surveys.

In the latest Pulse Asia survey released in July, Duterte still has the trust and approval of eight out of 10 Filipinos.

Duterte-Carpio also has a good record as Davao City’s mayor, maintaining her independence in governing the city that became her father’s springboard to Malacanang.

Go to Top