The Office of the Ombudsman has recommended to the Department of Justice (DOJ) the suspension of 27 officials and personnel of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) over the “anomalous release” of heinous crime convicts using the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) provisions of Republic Act (RA) 10592.
Among those recommended for suspension for six months without pay were Ramoncito Roque, BuCor Documents and Record Section chief, and Corrections Senior Insp Ma. Belinda Bansil, who were identified by witnesses as behind the so-called “GCTA for sale” scheme during the Senate hearing on the controversy.
Also listed by Ombudsman Samuel Martires for suspension were:
- Benjamin Barrios, Supervisor, Board of Discipline, Maximum Security Camp
- Gerardo Padilla, Chief, NBP Superintendent
- Francisco Abunales, NBP, Superintendent
- Celso Bravo, Officer-in-Charge, Directorate for Security and Operations
- Melencio Faustino, Regional Superintendent, Davao Prison and Penal Farm
- Cherry Caliston, Chief, Documents Division, Davao Prison and Penal Farm
- Ruelito Pulmano, Inmate Documents and Processing Section
- Emerita Aguilar, Chief, Reformation and Rehabilitation Office
- Raymund Peneyra, Chief Overseer, Maximum Security Compound
- 10.Jomar Coria, NBP South Reformation Coordinator for Education and Training, Maximum Security Compound
- Roy Vivo, COG, Maximum Security Compound
- 12.Wilfredo Bayona, Deputy Superintendent, NBP South Maximum Security Compound
- 13.John Edward Basi, Assistant Chief, Reformation and Rehabilitation Office, Maximum Security Compound, NBP
- 14.Abel Dr. Ciruela, Commander of the Guard -Management, Screening and Evaluation Committee, Maximum Security Compound
- 15.Roger Boncales, Directorate for Security and Operations -NBP North
- 16.Eduardo Cabuhat, OIC Training and Education Office
- 17.Dr. Lourdes Razon, Medical and Dental Office
- 18.Mary Lou Arbatin, Chief, Behavior Mod. Office
- 19.Susana Ortega, OIC, Prison Industry Office, Maximum Security Compound
- 20.Anthony Omega, OIC, Sports and Recreation Office, Maximum Security Compound
- 21.Antonio Calumpit, OIC, Overseer, Maximum Security Compound
- 22.Roberto Rabo, Superintendent, NBP
- 23.Jones Lanuza, Deputy Superintendent for Reformation, NBP
- 24.Victor de Monteverde, Chief, Alternative Learning System, Maximum Security Compound and
- 25.Veronica Buño, Custodial Officer, NBP
Martires asked the DOJ to effect their suspension within five days. They will also be charged with grave misconduct, gross neglect of duty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.
“The office finds that the evidence in the form of testimonies of witnesses and public documents showing the anomalous release of prisoners convicted of heinous crimes appear to be strong,” Martires said in his six-page decision issued on Monday (September 9).