The supply of pork and pork and products in the country remains stable despite the emergence of the African Swine Fever in Davao Occidental and other areas in the country, the Department of Agriculture (DA) assured the public.
Agriculture Secretary William Dar said of the country’s 12.7 million swine population, only 1.7 percent had been affected based on the recent report from the field.
Dar said: “From the 216,000 depopulated swine, only about 13 percent is sick, but because of the 1-7-10 protocol, we have to depopulate every hog within the one-kilometer radius.”
Pork makes up about 60 percent of the country’s meat consumption. Aside from the domestic supply, the country also imports about 320,000 metric tons of pork, most of them going to the food processors. The country’s per capita pork consumption is estimated at 16 kilograms today.
Dar said swill feeding primarily caused the outbreak, although the origin is still being traced. Identified possible sources of the ASF include food wastes from ports or smuggled pork products.
After reaching the remote town of Don Marcelino in Davao Occidental, ASF has also been reported in two barangays in Davao City. Mayor Sara Duterte has allocated P20 million to aid the affected hog raisers.
The Visayas island group is now the only area in the country that is ASF-free. The first ASF contaminations in the country were reported in Bulacan and Rizal. It has now reached the the northern tip of the country, particularly Kalinga and Benguet.
On Monday, President Duterte gathered local chief executives to come up with strategies that will prevent the further spread of ASF, as well as the 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease.
Dar urged everyone to work together in helping the affected local government units to properly manage, control and contain the said problems.