The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has warned local government executives, especially barangay officials, to turn their complacency in implementing President Duterte’s road-clearing order into concrete actions within 75 days or they will face sanctions.
This is contained in DILG Memorandum Circular 2020-027 issued by Secretary Eduardo Ano on Monday (February 17) that triggers the second round of nationwide operations to clear all public roads of fixed and ambulant obstructions.
“I direct all LGUs, especially barangays, to clear roads from obstruction with the same urgency and enthusiasm as when the president directed before,” Año said.
To be removed are obstructions on all provincial, city, municipal and barangay roads, and national primary and secondary roads.
The DILG wants the barangay executives to take the lead in this new round of clearing operations in barangay roads and minor public-use streets—or the so-called tertiary roads—within their jurisdictions. They are also ordered to maintain other local roads turned over by the city or municipal government.
Ano said heads of LGUs who will fail to comply with the new directive will be given a show-cause order.
The DILG issued Memorandum Circular No.121-2019 last year to implement the first round of clearing operations, as Duterte said public roads should be given back to the people. The deadline then was 60 days.
Ano said: “Only 97 out of 1,245 LGUs were issued with cause orders, so far. We filed administrative cases against 10 local chief executives who did not to comply to the national government’s orders.”
About 6,682 primary and secondary roads nationwide, Ano added, have been cleared of all types of obstructions.