Egypt confirms coronavirus case, the first in Africa

in Philippines

The virus was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year [File: Yuan Zheng/EPA-EFE]

Egypt has confirmed its first case of a deadly coronavirus that emerged in central China at the end of last year and has since spread to more than two dozen countries around the world.

Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Mugahed said in a statement on Friday that the affected person was a “foreigner” who did not show any serious symptoms.

More:

Officials were able to confirm the case through a follow-up programme implemented by the government for travellers arriving from countries where the virus has spread.

The ministry statement said the person was hospitalised and in isolation. It did not specify the person’s nationality or their point of entry.

The development made Egypt the first country in the African continent to report a confirmed case, and the second in the Middle East

Read More: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/egypt-confirms-coronavirus-case-africa-200214190840134.html

Photo Credit: Aljazeera

Al Jazeera is an independent news organization funded in part by the Qatari government. In 2006 Al Jazeera Satellite Network was changed to a public utility, private corporation by a public memorandum and articles of association in accordance with the provisions of (Qatar) Law No. 21 of 2006, and was re-named “Al Jazeera Media Network”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*