Tacloban kicks off student summer job program

in News

STUDENT JOBSEEKERS. Students queue up to get a slot for the 2020 Special Program for Employment of Student (SPES) in Tacloban City on Monday (Jan. 13, 2020). The city government has opened 143 slots and will accept the first 200 applications for validation and screening. (Photo courtesy of Tacloban city government)

TACLOBAN CITY — The city government’s Public Employment Services Office (PESO) has opened on Monday the application of Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) for this year.

The city has 143 slots for summer employment, however, only the first 200 applications will be accepted for validation and screening, said PESO Tacloban manager Emilia Cruz on Tuesday.

Applicants are required to show a copy of the birth certificate, grades, proof of residency, 2×2 ID picture, certificate of income tax return, and certificate of tax exemption for those whose parents are non-regular employees.

“We want them to be productive and busy during vacation. This way, we can help them financially and expose them to the world of work where they will learn new skills and experiences,” Cruz told the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

The government’s special employment program is meant for “poor but deserving” 15 to 30 years old college and high school students.

It also aims to provide temporary employment to out-of-school youths intending to return school, and dependents of displaced or would-be displaced workers during summer and/or Christmas vacation or any time of the year to augment the family’s income and ensure that beneficiaries can pursue their education.

Although 4Ps (Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program) beneficiaries are considered indigent, Cruz said the city will prioritize those equally deserving students not receiving any government benefits.

“Let us spread the sunshine. This is only a one-time opportunity, so we will really give it to those who deserve it,” she added.

Successful applicants will be deployed for 20 days in the different departments within the city government and will receive a daily pay of PHP503.

The Department of Labor and Employment provides 40 percent of the beneficiaries’ salaries, while the employing office will shoulder the remaining 60 percent.

Within their deployment, Cruz said the city government has also outlined other activities including career coaching, livelihood training, development and gender sensitivity training, and orientations on online sexual exploitation and human trafficking.

“We are taking advantage of the opportunity by imparting them awareness and proper knowledge on relevant social issues. We encourage them to report this kind of incidences to authorities,” Cruz added.

The PESO warned students against scammers and clarified that no fees are being collected during the application process.

Deployment of successful applicants will start in April, depending on the end of classes of schools where the beneficiaries are enrolled. (PNA)

Photo Credit: Philippine News Agency

The Philippine News Agency is a web-based newswire service of the Philippine government under the supervision of the News and Information Bureau (NIB) of the Presidential Communications Office (PCO).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*