A 16-year-old girl from Central Visayas is the country’s first known victim of lung injury caused by electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), or vaping, the Department of Health (DOH) said on Friday.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said the first recorded e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury (Evali) patient was not asthmatic but had been using an e-cigarette daily for four months since March. She then started smoking both the device and traditional cigarettes until she was hospitalized on Oct. 21.
Two weeks prior to her hospitalization, Duque said, the girl, who was not identified, took cough medicines to help relieve her dry cough but to no avail.
Keep on reading: DOH cites 1st PH case of vape-related injury