Published November 15, 2019, 6:05 PM
By Analou De Vera
The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday said that it has already received the first reported case of electronic cigarette or vape-associated lung injury (EVALI) in Central Visayas.
The DOH said that the patient involved was a 16-year-old female, who was admitted in an undisclosed hospital last October. The patient had been using electronic cigarettes for six-months “while concurrently consuming combustible cigarettes.”
“The patient, who was admitted last October 21, initially presented with sudden onset of severe shortness of breath, required oxygen supplementation and ICU admission,” the DOH said.
“Upon admission, the clinical impression was initially considered to be infectious in nature. However, upon further evaluation, the patient met the case