Acute gastroenteritis up 14% in Pangasinan

in News

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — The Provincial Health Office (PHO) has recorded 8,595 cases of gastroenteritis in the province from Jan. 1 to Nov. 11 this year, 14 percent higher than last year’s 7,571 cases during the same period.

Provincial health officer, Dr. Anna Ma. Teresa de Guzman, said 42 persons already died due to the illness, higher than last year’s 37 mortality.

The PHO placed San Carlos City with 737 cases, Mangaldan (503), Bayambang (481), Calasiao (431), Malasiqui (408), Alaminos City (361), Lingayen (338), Sta. Barbara (335), Binmaley (323) and San Fabian (320). These cities and towns with the highest concentration of acute gastroenteritis cases are under close watch, she said in an interview Friday.

Most of the victims are children below one year old based on the data of PHO. The highest number recorded was in March this year with 1,219 cases, she added.

“We should always check our water sources, and find ways in order to drink clean water,” de Guzman said.

She urged the public to purify tap water to kill most of the germs and parasites.

“The safest method of purification would be boiling water, although there are other alternatives,” she said. (PNA)

The Philippine News Agency is a web-based newswire service of the Philippine government under the supervision of the News and Information Bureau (NIB) of the Presidential Communications Office (PCO).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*